“If you follow your passion, you will never work a day in your life and you will also never work harder. "
With an artist and a surfboard shaper as parents, Jake was pretty much born for this. (Studying graphic design at FSU and on-the-job training did help, though.)
Anything design and photography. Check out his photos @jakemeyerphoto
Black squid ink spaghetti from Bocca Lupo.
Making the 'world’s best' Mezcal Negroni.
1-once of Mezcal
1-once of Otto's Athens Vermouth
1-dash of orange bitters
Combine & Pour: Over a large ice cube
Garnish: 1 orange peel and 1 Luxardo Maraschino cherry
If Jake were to write business and design fortune cookies, here is his running list:
• Design is the silent ambassador of your brand.
• A good designer anticipates what people need before they know they even need it.
• If you're not extraordinary or remarkable, nobody will remember it.
• A designer is like a good host, they anticipate the needs of their guests.
• Design should always be two things. Familiar and surprising.
• Exceed your client’s expectations and always over-deliver.
• If you think good branding is expensive, you should look at the cost of bad branding.
• It needs to sell, not just look good.
• Your client is the expert in their industry, you are the expert in yours.
• Work with people and brands you believe in.
• Put your heart into it.
• You can’t polish a turd.
• Always have integrity in everything you do.
• Money is important but happiness is more important.
• Ask lots of questions and don’t make assumptions.
• Trust is earned not given.
• Everything you do has your name on it, create wisely.
• Life is short, work with good people that get it.
• If a design is like an entrée, make sure they lick the plate after.
• Speed, quality, price…pick any two.
READY FOR MORE?