“Branding and design run deep through my veins. No matter how hard I try to shake it, it’s always there."
If Jake were to write business and design fortune cookies, here is his running list:
• If a design is like an entrée, make sure they lick the plate after.
• If you think good branding is expensive, you should look at the cost of bad branding.
• Speed, quality, price…pick any two.
• Life is short, work with good people that get it.
• You win if they win.
• You can’t polish a turd.
• Exceed your client’s expectations and always over-deliver.
• Be significant and success will follow.
• It needs to sell, not just look good.
• Only work with people and brands you believe in.
• Put your heart into it.
• Always have integrity in everything you do.
• Money is important but happiness is more important.
• Ask lots of questions and don’t make assumptions.
• Your client is the expert in their industry, you are the expert in yours.
• Design is the silent ambassador of your brand.
• Trust is earned not given.
• Everything you do has your name on it, create wisely.
With an artist and a surfboard shaper as parents, Jake was pretty much born for this. (Studying graphic design at FSU and on-the-job training did help, though.)
Anything design and photography. Check out his photos @jakemeyerphoto
Black squid ink spaghetti from Bocca Lupo.
Making the 'world’s best' Manhattan, which requires six specific ingredients in exact proportions and must be stirred approximately 100 times and poured over a large ice cube.
1 dash angostura bitters
1 dash of walnut bitters
1 ounce sweet vermouth
2 1/2 ounces bourbon or rye
1 large ice cube
1 Maraschino cherry (Luxardo brand)
READY FOR MORE?